Wednesday, July 15, 2026

Weekly Art discussion

 

Watercolor and ink sketch, “The Penticorn”
By me Michelle D Knight


Are you an Artist or not? You decide

The urge to create has always been part of who I am, I unlocked that part of me before I even went to elementary school. Currently the urge is at an all time high and has been getting stronger since about 2020. I believe everyone has the ability to create something they just have to find what that something is for them. When someone says “oh I can’t draw”, or “I can’t paint”, “I can’t insert” any other art avenue, I think in my head ‘bullshit copout’ because I know everyone excels in making something, but instead of that I say, “but did you try?” “Did you try more than once?”

Why do people give up before they start? Everyone must unlock the gift they are given to live a fulfilled life. I’m not going to say “I’m the best” at any certain thing, I understand practice is needed to enhance your innate gifts but I will never say or let anyone else tell me “I can’t” or “I’m not a real artist.” In my world that can’t exist because it is up to me, the creator.  I’m not an artist because someone told me I was, or have some piece of paper stating I spent 5yrs in some institution and went broke for it. Art is subjective so just because someone may dismiss you doesn’t mean it isn’t good or isn’t art, they just don’t get it, the next person who sees it may love it. So with that said, I’m an artist because I fucking said so, and it doesn’t change my mind by the opinion of others. If you say, “I’m not an artist,” enough it will program your brain into thinking it’s true, and once it’s true then you can’t, and if you can’t you won’t.  It works the other way too, always choose the positive self talk. 

It reminds me of that unresolved author quote, (not Einstein);

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it’s stupid.” -unknown

I enjoy creating many different things and due to that, I’m very overwhelmed in writing this first post. I have already deleted multiple paragraphs today.  I could go on and on, so I’m just going to list some supplies and elaborate on them on future Wednesdays. I have so much to work on I’m literally never ever bored, especially during summer and winter, must be the sun codes. I have a mental filing cabinet of more things I want to work on but those ideas must take a number and stand in line. I’m all the time having visions and I think oh that’s a good idea, ooh and that, oh my god what? Yes! let me write it down for 2027. 

Supplies I love in no particular order for sketching and painting: Bristol board (fav!), Ink (ranger/sumi), micron liners (sakura/copiic), Copiic Ciao Markers, Chromatik watercolor pens, Arches Aquarelle Watercolor paper,  Alex’s Melnyk metal stencils, Gelli stamp, Derwent Chromaflow and Inktense colored pencils, Grabie acrylic pens, acrylic ink (pearlescent), peter pauper press sticker books and journals, Aleene’s jewelry and metal glue, clear coat gesso, sponges, blending sticks, colorless blending markers (Copiic/Prismacolour), spray fixative (gloss and matte), ink blending tools, brayers, brushes, craft scissors, glitter, micro precision blade for small detail cutting.  That is all I can think of tonight. 

About the picture above, the Penticorn. I made it up! Penti because I was able to fit five horns on it before running out of paper. Sometimes it’s deep and other times it’s just exactly what it says it is. I haven’t actually seen one but if I did, it would look just like that. 😆

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pondering Deeper thoughts: A Saturn Day Series:entry 3

My bunnies of prosperity 😆. Free gifts I would send in orders at my shop. They all went to good homes. People LOVED them! The illusion of O...